Exploring the nature of humanity and dreaming of futures not so far ahead...

Saturday, November 17, 2012

A Sarcastic Heartfelt Apology

Well folks,

I'm still here.

It has been far too many weeks since I posted on this blog, and as I have committed to two full years of blogging, I feel that I could legitimately be called a failure up to this point.  The lack of regular posts is not for a loss of interest, however.  I am moving and starting a new job!

In just over a week, I will be flying to Chicago for a few days and then out to Des Moines, Iowa for a year of service with Americorps VISTA (Volunteers In Service To America).  This is a huge change for me, but one that is honestly for the best.  I have quit my two part-time jobs that I hated and am replacing them with a full-time job that I will hopefully love!

I will be working as a Community Relations Liaison for Central Iowa Shelter and Services as a part of their Veterans Outreach Project. This project works with homeless veterans in Iowa to get back on their feet and into school or jobs and with the ultimate goal of making them self-sufficient again.  My part in this will be to act as the public face of the program as well as work to create a brand new coalition of hopefully 40 nonprofit groups in Iowa as well as the state government.  This is a great gateway job for me to get into the type of work that I can see myself doing long term, and it gives me the chance to change some lives as well.

That said, I don't imagine that my posting will have such a large lapse again, and you can certainly expect to see some postings regarding my job here over the next year as well as the random sociological ramblings that you've come to know and love.

InSoc is here to stay!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome. I'm really glad to hear you're getting into that job! By the way...it would be awesome to crash at your place for a day or so when I move out to Colorado Springs in August(?).

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll see. I don't even have a place yet, so it's a bit early to be planning slumber parties, lol.

    ReplyDelete